Elon Musk is an inexhaustible source of ideas. In an interview with Recode, he reviews Tesla, Space X and The Boring Company’s advances. He also gave some clues about what they are working on and in what they are not at all interested, in addition to other statements not exempt from controversy.
It’s been an unconventional year for Elon, with several problems and even fines or pending lawsuits. Despite this, the last quarter achieved what was beginning to seem unattainable: that the Tesla numbers return to black, with its best quarter.
“Thanks to 100-hour weeks for everyone”
Musk said that “everyone” had been working 100-hour weeks, and that thanks to that Tesla is alive. Asked about the pressure he exerts on himself, he affirms the following:
” Ford and Tesla made it barely through the last recession. There’s a good chance Ford doesn’t make it in the next recession. So, as a startup, a car company, it is far more difficult to be successful than if you’re an established, entrenched brand. It is absurd that Tesla is alive. Absurd! Absurd. “
Asked by Kara Swisher “ What do you credit that to? “, musk responds “Excruciating effort.” Not only by himself but affirms “Hundred-hour weeks by everyone.”.
What, is death over and sitting in a seat nearby?
Well, you never want to get complacent, so we still need to work hard, but I think we’re over the hump. We’re certainly over the hump on Model 3 production. For us, making 5,000 cars in a week for Model 3 is not a big deal. That’s just normal. Now we’re working on raising to 6,000 and then 7,000 Model 3s a week, while still keeping costs under control. We could probably do 6,000 or more, maybe 6,500 Model 3s a week right now, but it would have to stress people out and do tons of overtime.
The working day in Spain is 40 hours per week, at a rate of eight hours a day. 100 hours a week means working more than 14 hours a day including Saturdays and Sundays. Recently Rockstar was faced with a controversy of similar labor exploitation, also saying in an interview that they had come to do weeks of 100 hours and having to clarify about it. Musk affirms it and the interview continues as such.
You can listen to the moment yourself:
Vehicles in Tesla and what we will not see
In the interview, Musk has not given too many details about the vehicles that Tesla has in development. But he tells about why Tesla won’t build an electric scooter and much more.
- No electric scooters. “They lack dignity,” the executive said, without further explanation.
- Do not rule out the electric bicycle: “I think we could make an electric bicycle, yes.”
- The electric motorcycle, discarded. “I almost killed myself with 17 years”, “the chances of death are 25 times greater” than with cars, “so no, we are not going to make an electric motorcycle”.
- The pickup truck, the vehicle with which he claims to be “more excited”, so much that he claims not to know the real interest behind and does not care: “I do not really know if there will be many people who buy this truck or not, but I do not care”.
- The VTOL (vertical-take-off-landing, a sort of electric jet with vertical takeoff) “would be interesting at some point”.